Local

18-year-old high school student killed in downtown Dayton shooting

DAYTON — A high school student is dead after getting shot and walking into a store in downtown Dayton looking for help.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WHIO-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Dayton officers and medics responded to 27 S. Jefferson Street around 7:23 a.m. on reports of a shooting.

A 911 caller told dispatchers that someone came into a business after being shot.

“He’s shot in his stomach,” the caller said.

TRENDING STORIES:

>>PHOTOS: Officers investigating after 1 shot in Downtown Dayton

Police got to the scene and found someone who had been shot.

“That individual was removed to the hospital by medics,” Major Jason Hall told News Center 7 at the scene.

Police confirmed that an 18-year-old enrolled at Dunbar High School died from his injuries.

At this time, the suspect remains at large, however, there is no reason to believe that the public is in danger, police said.

“This senseless event is hard for us all to comprehend,” Mayor Jeffrey J. Mims said. “Incidents like this are exactly why we are involving the community in reducing violence and building a peaceful city. We have zero tolerance for violence in our neighborhoods, downtown, and across the city.”

One local school that had students transferring buses at the RTA hub nearby where the shooting happened put out information to their school family.

The Ponitz High School principal wrote, “While no Ponitz CTC students were involved, several were waiting on a bus when this occurred. All students arrived at school safely. However, some were understandably upset by what they witnessed.”

Dayton Public School’s Superintendent Dr. David Lawrence released a statement in response to the shooting, which can be read below:

“The Dayton Public School District is deeply saddened by the tragic loss of a 12th-grade student at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School. Alfred Hale was a valued member of both the Dunbar family and the broader Dayton Public Schools community. He will be greatly missed by students, staff, and all who knew him.

“We extend our heartfelt condolences to the student’s family and friends during this incredibly difficult time. A crisis support team was on-site at the school on Friday and will remain available to support any students who need assistance in the days and weeks ahead.

“Students seeking support outside of school hours are encouraged to contact the Montgomery County 24/7 Crisis Support Line at 833-580-2255.

“I will be visiting the family of the student on Saturday. This situation is truly disheartening to Dayton Public Schools and the entire Dayton community. We will continue to work closely with the City of Dayton and community partners to address and prevent the needless violence that continues to impact our youth.”

We will continue to follow this story

[SIGN UP: WHIO-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]


0